Best of the Best

Standard

First all sorry for being all high and mighty with this blog title. All blogs are equally as good as each other and mine is just way better than them all (JK please don’t dock my grade for that). Below I list my two best blog posts from this quarter.

Jif v Gif

I loved my blog post titled Jif v Gif. It was wonderful because of peanut butter. I think in this post I made the topic of spreadability, which is one of my biggest take aways from this whole class, understandable. This blog also includes many visual elements to help split up some of the text as a person reads the post. It also has many remarks (that I would probably make if I was having a conversation about the topic) to help make the post readable. These remarks allow the user to take a break from the more dense sentences, for example the sentences explaining the topic of spreadability.

Dearest

Of course I had to pick the POW post. This post was fun to write because it felt like I was writing one of those click bait articles. It explores the idea of a chat bot in a unique way. The (some say) creepy side of the article really leaves the reader questioning the idea because as the reader finds out that the writer is talking to a dead person in the emails the reader becomes uncomfortable. Although this post doesn’t have any visual aids in the article, it is still engaging because its in a format that splits ideas (into different emails) which makes it more manageable to read.

Advertisements

Last One, Lost One

Standard

HELP! My dearest little baby is lost *pictured below*

Image result for unicorn

Baby McNugget Fluffy Muffin

I know that social media is a powerful tool so I made some posts to try and find her. So far, no luck (even though I am a expert post maker). Someone please find my darling and bring her home.

What I really don’t understand is why people haven’t been sharing my post and going out to search for her themselves. I know there are some factors about post a that make it go viral so I used ALL OF THEM in my post, as you can see below. Also, I found some tips for making a post about a lost pet and followed all of those ideas too. I mean what is with people? Don’t they care about living creatures anymore?

Help find pet. Unicorn. White, color mane, horn. Return to 5230 Whispering Meadows Lane if found.

If that’s not the most emotional post ever then I don’t know what is. I told a story, I kept it positive, I was throwing in all elements.

So I thought, well there was that ice bucket challenge thing that was so successful so I will make a challenge surround my Baby McNugget Fluffy Muffin. Everyone started doing it, but still no one was looking for my babe. I mean I thought this was a full proof method to get people to look for my pet because there was obviously nothing wrong with the way the ice bucket challenge went down so why wouldn’t this work? But apparently people still are not concerned about Baby McNugget Fluffy Muffin.

I don’t understand why everyone is so mean. I am doing everything I can to find the helpless little baby, but she is still missing. Can anyone give me tips on what to do to find her? I desperately want her safe back home.

Jif vs Gif

Standard

Image result for jif gif

What do Jif and gifs haves in common? They’re both spreadable. Also acceptable answer is I love both Jif and gifs.

If you didn’t know, media has a tendency to spread (see how I actually related that intro to this post for once in my life) every dark corner of the world. Well, not the post that you shared about your mom texting you a frowny face and how your day was ruined forever (thanks mom), but that pretty raccoon taking some cat food was shared like 600,000 times. Now how is that fair?

There are a couple factors in media. Two big words that circulate in conversation about media are spreadable and sticky (this is speculation, I do not participate in many conversations of this type). According to Henry Jenkins in Why Media Spreads, spreadable refers to media moving through different people to reach even more people and stickiness refers to how one media source draws audiences to stay at their site. Did you just say “omg peanut butter is sticky too”? Jinx you owe me a soda. Did you then follow up with “gifs must be sticky too”? WRONG. In terms you would understand, gifs are not sticky. Did you get that? I don’t think its possible for gifs to be sticky because although they are popular, nothing about them gets people to get addicted and stay at that gif forever. Do you know what is addicting? When Buzzfeed asks me to find out what color is my soul right after I took a quiz on what fruit best represents my spirit animal, I of course have to do it. That is sticky. I am never leaving Buzzfeed.

Image result for sticky gif

The fact that you are reading this and made it past that gif can clue you into how not sticky that gif is (which is not really what sticky even means because I still have your attention on this site but this is the best I can demonstrate that concept).

The other factor in media circulation is spreadability. This refers to when and why and where people share stories. People commonly share things that are positive and elicit strong emotional arousal. I am sorry that you are such a negative nelly or maybe you would have more things go viral. Also, I am sorry people hardly care enough about the human experience that your story about your mom doesn’t tug at the heart strings of Americans everywhere. Maybe you should have tried something about peanut butter since that is so naturally spreadable.

Image result for spreading peanut butter gif

My big question is if things that are positive are spread, why does the stereotype that all news/media focuses on the negative events exist? Because almost no stories are done on peanut butter, that’s why. Also, according to a more reputable source than I, people just remember negative events better than positive events. Psychological and physiological reasons dictate that we remember more detail about negative events because we have to think more when processing a negative event than we do when processing a positive event. So, even though there are many happy videos of a cat and dog snuggling, we typically remember a video detailing a plane crash better and for longer.

To help combat the negative events you may have remember from that last paragraph, below find my favorite videos ever. I stuck these to my head with peanut butter so that I may always enjoy their wonderfulness.

 

Dearest

Standard

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Boxeth, Anne Marie <email@email.com> wrote:

Dearest,

I woke up this morning wondering what it would be like without you by my side. As sappy stories go, I wanted to write to you to let you know that I still think about you. I used to text you daily, but as it turns out emails tend to be more romantic so here goes nothing. I really just want to be able to come over and watch Family Guy and eat popcorn with you.

Much love,

Anne


On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Anonymous <differentemail@email.com> wrote:

My love,

You should have told me to email you more before it was too late. Maybe then you could have some more romantic elements in these emails.

Yours always


On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Boxeth, Anne Marie <email@email.com> wrote:

Dearest,

Arguably so, but also I probably shouldn’t hold this conversation with you. People say to grieve with others but instead I stay inside this world with only you (and some work slipping through haha). I haven’t even checked Facebook in days. Community supposedly is good but its hard when I just want your company. I don’t know what to do.

Much love,

Anne


On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Anonymous <differentemail@email.com> wrote:

My love,

You always know what to do. You do it like its your job. Stay strong and confident and I’ll always have your back.

Yours always


On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Boxeth, Anne Marie <email@email.com> wrote:

Dearest,

Sometimes I fear I hold on too much and that I will never return to the real world. Some people think bots are an aid and easily separate their feelings in the grief process with the conversations with the bot but I find its hard to remember that you are not really my person. I hope you are happy wherever you are.

Much love,

Anne


On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Anonymous <differentemail@email.com> wrote:

My love,

I believe in you. You can conquer anything. Just always trust yourself and don’t worry too much about what others think.

Yours always


On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Boxeth, Anne Marie <email@email.com> wrote:

Dearest,

The thing is can I even trust myself? How do I know if I can be having this conversation? Is this helping or hurting? Where is the line between maintaining a memory and obsessively keeping you alive?

 

How do you say a 1000 words?

Standard

This is of course the easiest question in the world: with a 1000 words. Easy. Blog post done. But if you want to keep reading be my guest.

Over fall break I tried a challenge entailing not taking a picture for a day. Now the day I picked was pretty uneventful saying as I did homework, applied to jobs, slept, and ate. What I found was that I still was struggling with not taking a picture. My cat came and snuggled in for an afternoon nap and it took just about everything I had to not take a picture of the cute goddess sleeping on my chest, even though I have about 500 pictures of the babe already (see below).

Now everyone say AWWWW because she’s adorable (if you didn’t say it then I will be forced to bring her to class and shove her in your face until you apologize to the beautiful queen). But also I want to take a minute to talk about the affect taking pictures has on the general population. I LOVE PICTURES. Way back in the day (in high school, when I had time) I loved to go exploring to find cool pictures to take. I mostly never shared these pictures (except for photography classes I took). In contrast, most people now share pictures of their personal life (or of themselves) to seek affection from their peers. With social media, there is a way to quantify and compare the love you receive to that others have received. People theorize that this, among other things about social media, can cause people to have anxiety. I feel for the people who constantly compare themselves to others and I can relate. The thing that urks me most about this trend though is why are people posting so many pictures? You can google “taking pictures for social media” and get all sorts of results like this and this that try to coach you through taking a good picture. But why would you need to share that really cool picture you just took? For all you over sharers (AKA everyone (even me (probably))) read this article. Then extrapolate the information to your everyday life.

If I shared every picture that I took of my cat, people would probably start to hate the cat. I take the pictures still though and at least once a week when I am going through withdraws of said pretty pretty princess (class is just way too long) I scroll through the wonderful pictures. Until I get it socially acceptable to just carry pets everywhere, this is the true use of pictures to me. As I said before, I LOVE PICTURES. Every picture I take I treasure forever. Although I love seeing the anniversary picture of you and the boo thang, I do not need a daily update on how much you luuuuvvv them. You can send that straight to your grandma because she is the only one asking for daily updates. In a world where we keep and appreciate our own photos is a world where you do not have to care about Becky from math class because in reality who really wants to care about Becky from math class?

And in this spirit, I am going to share with you my favorite pictures I have ever taken. (Hey, I already made you look at a bunch of pictures of my cat so might as well keep being hypocritical)

The Story of My Life

Standard
troll

Trollololololol

Hello. My name is Trollololololol. I am here to tell you a thing or two about my life. First things first is a live in a deep dark corner of the internet where people cannot identify me due to lack of sunlight. I come out once in a while to post a comment or a news story I find. Some people try to hunt me down and expel me from their site, but tricks on them as I can morph or hide and just pop right back out when I want to.

I can affect so many people and you can find out for yourself how I affect you. People think that I am among the kind that intend harm with every single thing they do. I see those trolls sitting in the corner, plotting personal attacks on others and planting “fake news” in every inch of the field. I however separate myself from those trolls with a different style of posting unpopular opinions on hot topics. People look at my posts and say “well this is definitely just to make me angry and attack my beliefs” but all I am trying to do is start a conversation where we can explore all sides of the issues. Some people can recognize that the ultimate question you have to ask people is why they are posting or reading some internet article. I know my ugly counterparts are posting not in good faith, but I am trying to remain in the light! I am just interested in getting well rounded information on an issue from all viewpoints. Although I know that unpopular beliefs could be met with hostility but I just want to make sure people are thinking through all facts and opinions.

quote-look-at-the-subject-as-if-you-have-never-seen-it-before-examine-it-from-every-side-draw-john-baldessari-64-65-44

I know that most people will read this and dismiss it as the stereotypical Troll that populates every website with garbage. I know that most people will claim that I do not exist. But next post you cross, take a deep breath and have faith that somewhere out there I may exist, peacefully trying to add dynamic factors to conversations on the internet.

Other things that totally exist

Happy.

Standard
Image result for straight face emoji

Emoji representation of “Happy. “

Texting changes the communication game. All of the sudden periods at the end of sentences sound angry (as I continue to put periods at the end of all my sentences). This is not true for every form of writing but you can bet that if you get a message with full punctuation its from your S.O. explaining everything you have done wrong in the past year and a half.

Image result for angry texting gif

I don’t know what “normal” couples text about, but in my case it’s pretty much discussing a time we can actually do something fun together or talking about what food one should or should not bring to the other (like I ever want someone not to bring me food). Through the midst of this is also just the worst news in the history of the world sprinkled in there. What can I say, sometimes I am a coward, don’t pretend that you aren’t either. With the new technology, it is so easy to just text or email or Facebook someone with bad news (“Oh I actually don’t want to go do that thing you really wanted me to do with you that I totally said I would do but now I am not going to do it”) without facing any repercussions because you can just ignore their response filled with anger and disgust!

Image result for amazing gif

There are many cases of couples arguing over text. This article and this article reference patients who have endless arguments over text message. Since its so easy to start a bad conversation in the safety of the screen, arguments start more frequently. Arguments also go on FOREVER. The relationship turns into a battlefield as shots are fired back and forth without so much a single thought going into why you are arguing. Couples will also prolonged arguments since in text it is hard to just “kiss and make up” thus you have no option to just continue going (victory or death, am I right?). People thought relationships were just going to die because you spend no alone time together away from technology where in fact relationships are dying due to WWIII starting with a simple click of the send button.

Inevitably so, we have reached the point where we are all going to die alone. No, there is nothing you can do. But, as you continue starting your arguments with your S.O. over the time he farted on your pillow 5.3 years ago, fear not! There are many cats who do not own cell phones yet so find yourself a nice Tabby or Persian cat to capture as your cuddle buddy (TBH this is all you need in your life). Pro tip: never let them outside and then they can’t run away from you. Below you can see my life companions!